Boudoir Frequently Asked Questions
Are you nervous about booking a boudoir session? You are not alone!
We understand. It’s normal to be nervous! Anything we do outside our comfort zone can be nerve-racking! We’re still waiting for the client who walks in the door and says, “let’s do this! We can’t wait to strip down and have you take photos of us!”
You’re probably nervous about a couple of things:
1. Photos… In my underwear… by a stranger!?
2. Not entirely comfortable with all of your bits!
3. No clue how to pose!
4. And more!
We hear these concerns from just about every client, so let us help you answer some of them:
1. Photos… In my underwear… by a stranger!?
- Believe me, won’t be a stranger for long. Typically we will have talked and/or met face to face for your client consultation, by which time we will have a pretty good idea of who you are and what look you are going for
- When you arrive we will pour you something to drink…put on some music you love and just hang out. We’ll chat about just about your outfits, your poses, your wishes your fears, and have a good laugh we touch up your makeup and hair
- We will focus on getting you to laugh naturally and enjoy the session, and promise that you will relax within the first few frames we take.
2. Body bits…don’t love ‘it all!
- The relationship we have with our bodies is perhaps one of the most common struggles women face. First, remember that you are your own worst critic. Be kind to yourself and accept where you are now in your body journey.
- Talk with us honestly on your client consultation and when we meet on the day about anything you are really, truly nervous about body-wise. That helps us think more specifically about the types of poses that will work well for your session.
- Pick flattering wardrobe options. If you aren’t a fan of your stomach for example, pick at least a couple of outfits that cover it in some way…
- Trust us to find flattering angles. We are looking to bring out the best You we can, leave it up to us…
3. No clue how to pose! I’m not a model!?
- Coming in a close second to the photos/underwear/stranger and body concerns…. Is posing.! Don’t worry – as we’ve said before, we work with clients through every pose during their session.
- Posing will not feel like just another afternoon of lounging around on your bed. We tell our clients that if the pose feels a little weird, they’re probably doing it right!
- But relax, we don’t expect you to have any clue about how to pose, honest!
- On the day of your session we will pose you from start to finish and work through a variety of poses that we think will look amazing on you.
- We guide everything from where to look to what to do with your hands, so you can just sit back and enjoy it
DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS ON HOW TO GET THE BEST PHOTOS ON THE DAY?
- Yes, please be sure to download our Boudoir Guide, written specifically to give you an insight into the mind of a photographer, and will help you understand exactly what to expect on the day, and how to get the best photos possible.
Does it matter if I have never had a shoot before?
- Absolutely not! Most of the women we work with have never had a professional photoshoot before and are a bit camera shy. Accompanied by my partner, we will give you guidance from start to finish to help you pose like a dream girl! We know you will be a bit nervous and are used to helping our clients ease in to the session. Most walk out saying that it was the most fun they have ever had in front of a camera, and feel a million bucks after the shoot!
I’m older than (not as thin as, etc.) the women you shoot. Do you think I can still have a good shoot?
- Absolutely! We don’t work with models! We regularly work with women over 40
- Because of our confidentiality clauses, not everyone we wants their photo on our website, so you may not have seen them. But the women we work with are real women just like you who followed our tips and guidance on the day… and we can do the same for you.
Are my photos going to end up online?
- Only if you want them to! Sessions are 100% private and images are never shared anywhere without your permission.
- We’re always grateful to clients who allow us to share some of their images since so much of choosing a boudoir photographer is based on…you guessed it… seeing that photographer’s work! We do ask for permission to share images from time to time. If you are open to letting me share some of your images, you have final say in exactly which images are shared – if any.
- There’s no requirement to share images in order to book a session.
Are makeup and hair included? Can I just do my own and save money?
- Yes, you do your own makeup and hair but we recommend that you apply enough makeup that makes you feel like your ready for a night out on the town.
- Natural makeup will be lost under all the studio lights and can make you appear nude.
- We recommend that you consider professionally applied makeup where possible.
Do I bring my own lingerie? Do you have some I can use?
- You will need to bring your own lingerie because we want to be sure you’ve picked items that fit you perfectly and that you absolutely love! Select outfits that match your body type and suit your session goals. We have a few items, props and accessories that you are welcome to try as well.
- We recommend that you consider carefully the look that you want to have and buy lingerie, clothes and shoes to match this look.
- Bring with you as many different changes as you can, but at least 3 complete outfits that you feel GREAT in!
Should I embark on an exercise or diet plan ahead of our shoot?
- We think this is a matter of personal preference, however if you think that you would feel happy with the overall results if you lost a few pounds or toned up then by all means do.
How long will our boudoir photoshoot last?
- The session will last between 2-3 hours and allows time for brakes, wardrobe and set changes
How much does a boudoir photoshoot cost?
- Our boudoir sessions start at just £150, depending on your particular needs, but unlike the majority of other photographers, we don’t charge you per photo. You will receive all the ‘best’ processed photos on a USB to keep forever!
- We do ask that you purchase at least 1 photo print of your choosing. Please see the Print Price Guide on our website.
- When your ready to discuss pricing Send us a Message with more detail on what you are looking for and we would be happy to put something tailored together for you.
Where does the session take place?
- Your session will take place in our home studio. Beyond The Pixels Photography 45 The Oval, Didcot OX11 7EJ
Do you offer location boudoir shoots/ at my house or hotel / venue?
- Yes, some of nicer photos have come from location shoots, however we would need a clutter free room with enough space for lights and equipment.
- We would also recommend a joint location scout to ascertain the venue suitability prior to the booking as natural lighting and control thereof will play a factor
- Location sessions are charged at £25 extra per hour.
Who will be present during our session?
- Just my partner and me.
- We prefer you to be completely focused on our session and not be distracted by another person just out of shot, however you may also choose to bring a friend/ partner for moral support if you wish!
Can I request a Female Only Session?
- Yes, although we are absolutely professional, if you would prefer to only work with a female on the day, we can do our best to accommodate.
Do you offer couples/ men’s boudoir sessions?
- Although we will always focus the largest part of the session on the woman, we do offer men only and couples boudoir sessions.
- These are focused on capturing those special, loving, fun moments between the couple and can really be quite special!
Can my friends and I do sessions on the same day?
- We focus and customize the boudoir experience to your individual needs so we don’t offer group sessions for friends. However, you and one friend can schedule separate sessions the same day
Do we have any say in the types of shots we want?
- Yes! We will have a client consultation before the shoot about your favourite types of photos and we’ll discuss what you are looking to get out of the day. We will address your worries, and concerns and make sure you have everything you need to get ready!
How many photos do you take and do we choose the ones we want?
- We take about 100-300 frames per hour, spaced over a number of poses and backgrounds/set ups. We then pick and process, around 25+ best photos per hour.
- You will get ALL the best photos included in your session price, and provided on a premium USB to keep for ever.
I’m worried about acne/cellulite/stretchmark’s. Do you offer retouching?
- Retouching is included with every session. We remove scars as requested, acne, blemishes, stretchmark’s and cellulite in addition to bruises and other random marks you may have on the day of your session!
- We don’t “take off 15 pounds” or do “body reshaping.” we work with clients to find the most flattering poses and lighting to highlight their best features. If there’s something you feel particularly self-conscious about, let us know.
How much re-touching do you do? I still want to look like me!
- We pay special attention to lumps and bumps, spots etc but we never change you so much that you’re unrecognisable! You’re just a smoother more polished version of your usual self - The make-up, lighting and feeling great goes a long way to achieving our final look too.
Can you get rid of our tattoos?
- Yes, depending on how big it is, we will be happy to discuss this at our client consultation
I don’t see any nude photos on your website. Do you offer that type of photography?
- Yes, we do offer nude options during sessions. We just choose not to display this on the web. Keep in mind that we will only photograph tasteful nudes – if it’s outside our comfort zone, we will let you know. Ultimately our goal is for you look back on these photos and feel good about them years from now… not weird about having shown something you wish you hadn’t!
When will I see my session images? How long does it take to get everything back?
- About 7-14 days after your shoot. Once we near the end of processing, we will contact you and set up an appointment for you to come back into the studio for viewing.
- Here you will receive all of your processed photos on a USB drive to keep forever, and choose the photo that you would like to get printed.
- If you would like to purchase other items like an album, canvas or additional prints, we’ll go over your order together.
- Framed Prints are done in house, and available from as little as £11.50 as you wait, but premium products like Aluminium prints or lay flat photo books are done off site and require an additional 10 – 14 days to arrive.
Do I need to come back for the viewing, cant I see them online?
- No, we require all attending/ consenting adults to return on the day to make a final decision on which photo needs to go to print, and whether any further prints/ wall art or photo–book’s would be required.
What is the average printing spend?
- £35 - £180+
- The majority of our clients choose images for their wall, either as framed prints, or one of our acrylic or aluminium-mounted products
- And a photo Book that will include all your very best images from the session
- A3 Framed Print - £35
- 60cm x 40cm Aluminium Print - £85
- 40cm x 40cm Acrylic Print - £95
- A5 Soft Cover Photo Book – £60
- A4 Hard Cover Lay-flat Photo Book - £90
- A3 Hard Cover Lay-flat Photo Book -£120
Do you do gift vouchers?
- Yes we do! Contact us to purchase gift certificates for any of our shoots - a beautifully designed voucher complete with a personalised design to include the recipient's name, will be sent to you or the recipient digitally by email.
Do you offer a payment plan?
- Not officially, but we could offer a payment plan that extends the payment window to 6 months for a minimum spend. But we would not deliver the final products until full payment has been made. Please talk with us about a payment plan if you’re interested in setting it up.
What is your refund policy? Can I reschedule?
- Life happens! We understand, however, we need at least 48 hours notice to transfer your deposit. When we take your booking, we block out that date, turn other clients away, buy specific props, set up the stage and so on, if you give us less than 48 hours notice, or fail to arrive for your appointment, you will unfortunately forfeit your deposit.
- Due to the custom nature of photography, the session fee and anything you purchase is non-refundable. We are committed to working with you to ensure you love your photos and you’ll have final say on all retouching.
Who has copy right over these images?
- Beyond The Pixels Photography retain the copyright to all images. However, You will be granted a license to reproduce the images for your personal use, or to give to family and friends. You will not be permitted to enter the un-watermarked pictures into any competitions, sell them onto third parties, such as stock libraries or use them for commercial gain.
We hope that this FAQ has gone some way in answering some of your questions, now take a deep breath and push that contact us button, we cant wait to hear from you!